Sunday, February 24, 2013

I don't normally go hiking in flip flops and my whites...

but when I do you know I'm going to baptize a child of God!

This week was a great week. There were quite a few setbacks but it's better to look up. It's better to look forward.

A lot of appointments fell through. We didn't nearly accomplish most of our goals for lessons or for our investigators. Church attendance was kind of low There is a lot of potential for everything but it seems like everything is in a standstill. 

Despite all of this things are still fine. The baptism went wonderfully. It was such an amazing experience for the both of us. The Spirit was so strong. The ocean felt great. Words can't really describe how I felt.

Being here in Villaba has made me realize the importance of the priesthood. The 2 baptisms we've had have both been young boys. We've been working really hard to find families and potential priesthood holders. We've found them but now the task is to help them understand and accept the Gospel. Our branch has been without an Elders Quorum President and Branch Mission Leader for half a year now. Our Branch President is probably the best in the entire world. He is giving his all in serving everyone and simultaneously preparing his family to go to the temple in April. He's only been a member for 6 years, but he has such a firm grasp on the Gospel and truly does magnify his priesthood.

My thoughts have been very clustered lately. Somehow it all revolves around Charity. Haven't quite made all the connections just yet but it is a subject that has been on my mind lately. In cebuano its gugma nga putli or pure love. I've been thinking about how true it is. It is the pure love of Christ. It's loving others the way God loves us. It is a Christlike attribute that I don't yet have but I am  striving to work for.

On Tuesday we had a district meeting about Charity. I never really put a whole lot of thought into why I came on a mission before. Last year my thoughts were oh everyone else is putting in their papers I should do the same. Everybody else is getting a call I should get one too. I've realized that that is quite a pathetic reason to come on a mission. I was reading in my journal about the week before I came on my mission. I wrote about a family scripture study we had about courage. I had written 2 Tim. 1:7. Basically there are two reasons to do anything. One you can do it out of fear. (Fear of punishment that you're not going to fit in with your peers or not fulfilling priesthood duties.) Or you can do it out of Love. I've been trying to change the way I think about things. About the way my Father in Heaven loves me. About the way He has a plan for me. About His expectations for me. About my expectations for myself and who I want to become;  not what I want to be when I grow up but who I really am.

I read a great talk called the Fourth Missionary. What I've learned from it is that this isn't a sacrifice. God gives us everything we ever have. We can CONSECRATE ourselves to Him. It's not about the 2 years. It's about giving your whole will to the Lord and surrendering all of your righteous desires and wants for His will. We can serve with our might and strength but it doesn't mean a thing if we don't serve with all of our heart and mind.

Big growing week this week. I have a long way to go still. But that's part of the plan, Everyday we make choices that bring us closer or further from our Father in Heaven. Choices that help us become more or less like Him.


All in all, I am feeling great. I love my area I love my companion I love my mission president. Life is really good. 

Love you all

Elder McGuire
 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be sent to Elder McGuire the following Sunday. :)