Monday, June 2, 2014

We own the Fourth!


It has been such a great week!

Well to start it off, I got pretty sick on Tuesday afternoon. Like feeling like I had a worm or something in my stomach so we didn't really get to work.

Wednesday morning I was feeling much better. We had this really cool opportunity to preach the gospel to a group of people. A few weeks ago we were eating lunch at Chow King and this foreigner sits down by us and starts talking to us. He is from Florida and his wife is from Calbayog. He owns a fiber optic factory here. We started trying to bring up the gospel and the restoration and he was mostly uninterested in hearing about it but by the end he gave his name and address for us to pass along to the missionaries in Florida and then he also said that we could go to his factory and teach all his workers there. It was such a cool experience! We showed up a little before 10 and set up a whiteboard and had a picture book and then at 10 it was the workers break time. ALL of them came and sat and listened to us. There were about 40 to 50 people there. We just taught like any other lesson. We opened with a hymn and prayer and began to teach about prophets and the apostasy and the restoration through Joseph Smith. Some people were in tears. We brought 15 copies of the Book of Mormon and they were all taken. 10 people gave their names, phone numbers, and addresses saying they wanted to be taught. A lot of pamphlets were also taken. It was one of the coolest experiences I've had on my mission! We're hoping we can get a baptism out of this. If not, at least we were able to plant a lot of seeds.

In the afternoon, Elder Parsons got a huge migraine so we weren't able to work. But I was able to read a lot of Jesus the Christ. This is my second time through on my mission and I love it! I'm about halfway done. This time around I am noticing the simplicity of the Savior's mission and the people's sheer doubt and unbelief and inability to comprehend what the Messiah's mission really was. He truly was the Son of God who came to save the world from their sins.

Other big news was the Nabong kids' baptism! It was such a great service! Saturday morning we had to go to Catbalogan to do a baptismal interview for the elders' investigator. I conducted the interview. Carlo is a really cool kid and is definitely ready for baptism.  He's going to get baptized next week. After the interview we went to Jollibee for lunch and I spilled chocolate shake and pineapple juice on myself. Really embarrassing but not a huge deal. We headed back up to Calbayog and I cleaned myself up then we went to the baptism. Bro Nabong gave the opening prayer and he was so happy. I baptized all 4 of the kids. Earl, Earwel, Earlyn, and Errol. On Sunday they were confirmed and Bro Nabong and Earl were ordained priests and Earwel was ordained to be a deacon. I'm so excited for them! School starts today (summer is over here) and Earl is enrolled in Seminary which is fantastic. He's come with us before to lessons and teaching appointments and he really has a desire to learn more about the gospel and serve a mission. Our next focus for their family is to get Bro and Sis Nabong a CENOMAR so that Sis Nabong can get baptized.

Our recent converts, Cian and Joy, both were interviewed to receive a calling. I'm so happy for both of them. Cian came and worked with me on member splits last Saturday. He is going to serve a mission next year once he hits his year mark. Another member in our branch Renz Amora finally got his mission call. His application was in the mission office when the typhoon hit. He's been very patient. He wasn't sure it was still coming and so when the APs told us Sunday night we called him Monday morning. He was on his way to enroll for school but couldn't find an important paper. He was so happy! He's going to work with us all this month because he reports on July 4. He's assigned to the Cavite mission.

We've visited all 3 families in our area that the branch council wants to get to the temple this December. All were very happy and want to go to the temple. We're going to start the missionary lessons with them in the coming weeks.

The work is going great! I'm not sure I want to leave but I get the feeling that I'm getting too comfortable in my circumstances here. The field is so white and ready to harvest here and the members are amazing. Regardless, I'm going to work my hardest until I transfer. We are entering the 4th quarter. I wish I had a picture to send to you of me holding up 4 fingers. I feel like I'm at the top of my game and still trying to overcome challenges and trials. Missionary work is the best thing in the world regardless of anything that happens. 

I love you all. I really appreciate your prayers and love and support. Keep fighting the good fight. It will never get easier until we get stronger. Share the gospel. Show forth good examples to the world. Let them know that you're a disciple of Jesus Christ. Go buy a personal copy of Preach My Gospel like Elder Ballard told you to. Come help roll this stone along.

I know God lives. I know He hears and answers my prayers. I know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the Savior and Redeemer of the world. I know he atoned for my sins and that through His Atonement I can be cleansed and strengthened to overcome anything that comes my way. I know that the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph Smith is a true prophet. I know Thomas S Monson is our living prophet today and that he holds the keys of the priesthood. The Church is true.  Have a wonderful week! 

Love,

Elder McGuire

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be sent to Elder McGuire the following Sunday. :)