Sunday, June 29, 2014

Another Week Down. Another Few to Go

Well I survived my first week in Bato.

To be honest I was having a really big struggle this first part of the week. Satan was doing a number on me and trying to discourage me in all sorts of ways. The language isn't quite there yet. I can speak cebuano still but my ears are definitely not used to hearing it again, especially all the little phrases. On top of that, I had a really bad attitude about the area. I had it in my head that this is a hard area and there's nothing I can do about it so I'm just going to endure and wait until I transfer. This bad attitude of mine led to not having unity with Elder Empase nor the members. In short, I was not happy.

Thursday, I went to Tacloban to have a check up for my right knee. I got an x ray and there's nothing wrong with the bones or alignment and the doctor did a stress test and thinks that the problem is with my meniscus. We can't be sure unless I get an MRI which would mean going to Manila because they don't have an MRI machine in this entire mission. However, I'm thinking I'll be just fine. I have my Ibuprofen and my knee only hurts when I put a ton of stress on it for a long time. I know you're freaking out mom but I'm gonna be just fine. I only have 5 months left and then we can get it checked out there.

Friday we had a good couple of lessons in the morning with our investigators. And then in the afternoon we had a meeting with our BML to make the Branch Mission Plan. 

Saturday we had reactivation activity in the morning and we ended up teaching another investigator instead because his less active brother wasn't there. He ended up committing to baptism and coming to church. And then Saturday afternoon we were just walking along the road and it hit me in my mind. "Life is so good! Bato is such a great area!" I don't know why I had such a bad attitude before but this place is actually really great. I mean sure it's no Calbayog. But Bato is a really great area. The members here are magnifying their callings. We are having regular meetings. We have investigators committing to baptism. Members are working with us. I have an amazing companion. 

After this realization, things started looking up for me. The area was still the same and it's still going to take a lot of hard work, but my outlook is different now. I have a more positive attitude about it. A lot of this change is due to something I learned back when I was meeting with Brother Packard. Our Happiness doesn't depend on how many baptisms we get or how many friends we have or whatever material or worldly thing we acquire. Happiness is obtained by personal righteousness. Wickedness never was happiness. Alma 41:10. Really I can't describe how awesome it feels to know that the outward results of my efforts don't dictate my happiness. I'm happy because I choose to be and that's that. On top of that, I have a great opportunity to learn and grow here. It's been a very humbling week. We didn't have a single investigator at church yesterday which means we probably won't have a baptism this cycle. Regardless, the both of us are determined to be successful missionaries and to build up the branch here in Bato.

President Maurer is now here in the mission and President Andaya is being dropped off at the airport right now. Times have changed. We are having MLC tomorrow and Wednesday so we'll get to meet him.

I'm doing alright. Just chugging along. I am in Helaman right now. Nephi is easily becoming one of my heroes. I can only imagine how he must have felt after he performed an incredible miracle and then the people just left him alone. He must have been thinking, "How are their hearts so hardened? Did they not just see what I just did?" Right after that though, he heard the voice of the Lord. He was blessed because of his righteousness. He was given great power and authority and made mighty in faith and works. Sometimes I really feel like that. I especially feel like I can apply it to myself when it mentions that his brother Lehi was not a whit behind him in righteousness. I'm so excited that Rick got to go through the temple and that he is going to serve a mission. I know with all my heart that this work is the work of the Lord and that the Book of Mormon is true. I know God lives and loves us and answers our prayers and has an individualized learning plan for each and everyone of His children here on earth. Everything that happens to us is for our good. It all just depends on how we react to the situation. I think what Heavenly Father wants me to learn this cycle is how to impact my circumstances and be an agent for righteousness.

I love you all and I'm really grateful for your letters and support and love and especially for your righteous examples to me. have a wonderful week of missionary work! 

Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be sent to Elder McGuire the following Sunday. :)