Monday, November 17, 2014

Be not afraid, only believe

Well it's been quite the week!
So I'm here in Naval, Biliran.... Yeah... Check your maps...
To pick up where I left off last week, Elder Harvey and I arrived in Tacloban around8:30pm. President Maurer interviewed us individually at 9 and 9:30. The decision was made to emergency transfer the both of us. For who knows what reason... They still haven't sent up zone leaders to Catarman. It's all very weird. President asked me to go find out why and I replied that at this point I really don't care why I'm being transferred, I'm just going to go work and serve. I told him my goal was to feel the Spirit every single day for the rest of my mission and then to continue with that goal for the rest of my life. So yeah after that he assigned me to be in a trio again here in Biliran zone... I'm with Elder Parra and Elder Nacorda. One is from Cavite and the other is from Surigao. Neither speak English. We are assigned in Caibiran. It's very bukid. very isolated. The members there are very faithful though. We had a baptism on the Saturday I arrived and we are going to have another baptism this coming week for a family where both the father and mother are professional teachers.
Later Monday Night, I stayed up til 3 in the morning doing laundry and packing since I was traveling all day, I brought only 3 weeks of supplies with me. Tuesdaymorning they put me on a van and I went by myself off to the island of Biliran. For those of you keeping track back at home this now makes me a 3 island missionary and this is my 6th zone and 7th area. I got off at the district center and walked into the Biliran zone's zone training meeting, very exhausted. All but the zone leaders were very surprised to see me there. After ztm, we got on a van for caibiran after waiting at the bus stop because they seldomly pass by. When we got to the incredibly small apartment, I passed out and woke up on wednesday.
Wednesday was a great day of work! We taught tons of people. Investigators and Less Actives. We got a total of 7 lessons and all but 1 family came to church of those that we taught. My favorite was to the Paa family. They're the professional teachers. On Sunday, President Maurer came to church and interviewed them for something that happened in their past, and he gave the okay for them to be baptized so now they're going to be baptized next Sunday before church and then confirmed. It's one tremendous blessing to be a part of this one because I'm starting to see a miracle in my patriarchal blessing be fulfilled that if I'm faithful I will see the Church established. It's amazing what revelation can do.
Thursday we got punted mostly. But we still did teach some solid people who came to church. I'm still trying to learn names and the area
Friday we woke up super early in the morning to catch a van to Ormoc where we attended a specialized leadership training for DLs and their companions. It was rather insightful. They based the trainings off of Elder Robbins Talk, "Which Way Do You Face?" I rather enjoy being a junior companion. Less stressful. I sleep well at night.
Saturday we had a baptism in the morning and then went to Cabucgayan so that Elder Parra could interview the sisters' 6 investigators for baptism next week. The work is progressing here. This entire island is an island of converts. I don't think there is one adult who was born into the church. But it is absolutely amazing out here.
Sunday we had the most reverent sacrament meeting. President Tonido (Branch President) asked me to give a talk on the Atonement. I really enjoyed studying for this one. I was followed by the District President. And then President Maurer was the concluding speaker. It was one of those sundays that you just don't expect to happen but it was really cool. After church, we had a meeting with the branch presidency. The goal is to increase sacrament attendance from about high 80s to 120 by the end of December.... It's attainable. After that, they all split with us and we went and visited some super less active/inactive families. I love the work of salvation!!!!
I'm in a good place. I really am. I decided to set a goal for myself to finish the Gospels in the New Testament before I come home. I'm using the student manual study guide so I'm reading about the Savior's ministry chronologically instead of 4 times through. I should be at His final week when I reach my final week. I am really enjoying this study of His life and teachings! I love the faith of people. I love the compassion of the Master. It's such a wonderful thing to read.
So I really only have 1 p day after this. Kind of a sobering thought really. I have 16 days of being a young full time missionary. I have less days than Rick has months.... (Sorry for mentioning that brother! Love you!) But this mission has been absolutely amazing! It's gone by so quickly. I can't believe how fast it's gone and how many people I've met and come to love. Next Sunday will be my last in Caibiran because the Saturday after that I'm going to go to Calbayog and visit my converts there (Cian and the Nabong family) and go to church there one last time. But this work is true. This is the work of Almighty God. He lives! He is at the head of this church and leads and guides it through revelation.
I love you all! Thank you for your continued prayers and faith and love.
Dad I would love nothing more than to be in the temple with my family. I will conform and adapt to whatever plans are made. Just let me know what the plan is so I can try to adjust my sleep schedule on the plane.
Alyssa I gave it some thought and I could use a really nice pair of brown dress shoes that I could wear on Sundays.
Rick keep on keeping on! You work hard every single day and you will look back with no regrets at the end. A great missionary is just a good missionary every single day.
Mom thank you so much for the laugh and for the traditions. I love it :) Y'all are the best. I'm also super grateful that I'm coming home during snowshoveling season and not raking season :)
Until next week! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be sent to Elder McGuire the following Sunday. :)