Monday, August 11, 2014

Week of the Birthday!


(Editor's note:  Elder McGuire's sister, Jessica, got married the day before his birthday. Elder McGuire's younger brother, Rick, left for the MTC (Canda Halifax Mission) the week before that.  A  LOT of crazy for our family, but two very sweet blessings.) 


Well this past week has been great! We had MLC Tuesday Night and Wednesday. It was pretty stressful but I could really feel the Spirit.

I'll just be honest right now. I'm going through a hard time.

Elder Quinco and I prepared a phenomenal training on helping Investigators recognize the Holy Ghost and helping them desire to continue the the conversion process. People were in tears. The training went so awesome. 

Thursday we went and did exchanges with the Zone Leaders in Biliran. I went with Elder Andus. It was a really fun time. He has only been in his area for 1 week so it was really hard but we ended up teaching a lesson to a member family and they gave us referrals. The Gerez family is super nice. Fun fact for you, I actually met Brother and Sister Gerez in Provo when I went up for the 5k in January. It was so cool to see them again!

Saturday and Sunday were great! President was down in Maasin for District conference. So we went and got Shakeys! You get a free pizza on your birthday dontcha know. I ate so much food! I'm sure I've gained 5 pounds. My birthday was Saturday and Elder Johnson's was Sunday so it was a double celebration. Sunday night we went to the Garcia family. They love the missionaries so much! Sister Garcia had prepared dinner and a cake with our names on it. Sometimes it's great to have someone that just thinks you're awesome and wants to give you food.

So my first thing cool that I've done as AP was change the way we evaluate after exchanges. It used to be a number system with vague interpretations. Now it's 10 inspired questions. So far I've heard positive things about it. The intent is to make evaluations and exchanges the main way we get reports about the missionaries so that we don't have to call and follow up with everyone at the end of the transfer. It's hitting 2 birds with one stone.

The cool thing about being back in Tacloban is that we go to a lot of FHEs. Members are awesome here. They prepare a bunch of food and have their less active/ investigator friends over and they also invite the 10 missionaries assigned to Tacloban 1st ward. It's a blast.

For these next 3 weeks we are going on exchanges and doing zone conferences. Tomorrow we are working in Borongan. Then we are back in Tac City for Conference. Then we work Catarman on Thursday. Then Conference in Calbayog Friday. Then Exchanges in Calbayog on Saturday. Then we're going to church in Calbayog and I'm going to give Cian his quad in person. I'm really excited about that!

For the most part I'm enjoying being an AP but it's very stressful. 

I keep reminding myself that this is a volunteer organization and that it doesn't last forever. I just have to sprint for the next few months.

At the end of the day though, I know that God lives. I know that this is His work. I know that it has to be done in His way. I know He hears and answers my prayers. I know Jesus Christ is my Savior. I know he knows all of our trials and afflictions. I know He atoned for our sins. He is the source of second chances and miracles. The Book of Mormon is True. The Church is True. Joseph Smith saw God the Father and Jesus Christ. Thomas S Monson is a true prophet. I have felt the hand of God in my life and that is so humbling to me. To know that He has taken me from the path of error and set me on the straight and narrow and has given me the strength to run hard and fast. I can do hard things because of Him. Because He knows what is best for me. Because I don't know everything and I'm not perfect, but I'm willing to learn and to be perfected in Him.

The Gospel is true! With all of my heart I testify that it is True! and it is the only way to peace and happiness.

Love you all!


ps way to get married jess! send some pictures!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be sent to Elder McGuire the following Sunday. :)